Monday, January 10, 2011


Serendipity (n)
Dictionary.com's definition: 
(i) an aptitude for making desirable discoveries by accident 
(ii) good fortune;luck

Synonyms: blessing, happenstance, happy chance, luck, lucky break

Memorable Quotes from Serendipity (2001) 
Jonathan: This is the ultimate blend to drink. How'd you find this place?
Sara: I first came in because of the name: Serendipity. It's one of my favorite words.
Jonathan: It is? Why?
Sara: It's such a nice sounding word for what it means: a fortunate accident. 

You will never know what you'll find in a treasure trove. Definition of a treasure trove too differs from person to person. My idea of a treasure trove is an attic where I can find a myriad of old diaries with yellowed and dog-eared pages together with boxes filled with vintage dresses and ornate jewelery. And this can only happen if I were to be struck by the god of Serendipity. 

It may be silly to be thinking that good things will never happen to me again. The idiom "none the wiser" is really apt in this situation. Skepticism and maturity are inversely proportional to one another as we age. However, a healthy dose of the former is no doubt beneficial as a self-defense mechanism but I have always wondered. How much is considered 'healthy' anyway? Things falling into place so nicely, appropriate music playing at the right time, chancing on picturesque places when we least expected it. It seems like I am in a snow globe and everything is just so .... perfect. 

Should I then try to even explain this phenomenon? I racked my brain for a scientific reason behind all these 'perfectness' but it was to no avail. Is this what they call, being in the right place at the right time? Nevertheless, the aftermath of this serendipity is a sense of security and happiness that envelops me each day and night. I've resolved to not think too much about it and just enjoy it while I still can. It is still in the infancy stage and we will never know what lies before us but I am contented that I don't have to walk down the path alone anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment